Halloween is upon us and while it’s tons of fun for kids and parents alike, it can be a scary time for family pets. Keep your fur babies’ feelings in mind when decorating with items that make loud noises or shoot off strobe lights. And, if trick-or-treaters make the rounds in your neighborhood, considering putting your pets in a quiet, back room so they’re not constantly disturbed by the doorbell or tempted to run out into the street as you open the door to hand out candy.
And, about that candy, it’s not just chocolate that can be toxic to pets. Sugar-free gum and candy containing xylitol can make your pet extremely ill if swallowed. Check out this article from Pet MD for some of the more common Halloween issues that veterinarians see year after year – http://www.petmd.com/dog/seasonal/evr_multi_halloween_safety_tips?page=show.